Candle Safety

Candles can be beautiful, restful and have a relaxing effect on you. They can also be dangerous.

A few tips:

Never leave a candle unattended - even if you leave the room for a few moments.

Tip: Before you go to bed at night or leave the house, make sure all your candles are extinguised. If you have pillars and they have burned a core down the centre - make sure you check that the flames has extinguished - it might not be so obvious. The flame could burn a hole through the side of the candle and drip wax everywhere. (As learned by a friend of mine who missed putting out the candle and saw the results the next morning).

Never burn a candle under or near something which could catch on fire.

Tip: Watch out for drapes which could move in the the breeze, etc.

Keep candles of reach of children and pets.

Tip: Flames are an attraction to little fingers and a wagging tale nearly caused a 
candle disaster in my own home!

Trim the wick to 1/4" each time you use.

Tip: the larger the wick - the larger the flame. This will also help keep soot from staining your ceiling!

Always place candles in a candleholder on a stable heat-resistant surface.

Always put votives in a container!

Tip: Votives are designed to melt! They burn best when in a snug fitting votive holder. Don't try and move these containers when lighted. The wax will be liquid and the container hot!

Keep wax pool free from debris.

Tip: Do not put old matches in there or the wick trimmings - these could ignite.

Do not burn a candle longer than the manufacturer suggests.

Tip: If you have a 2" pillar then 2 hours is a suggested burn time. Glass containers should only be lighted for about 2-3 hours.

Leave the last 1/2 inch of the container candle or 2 inches of the pillar.

Because of the potential of the flame touching the sides of the container or getting too near the bottom it is recommended that you stop burning the candle when the wax is about 1/2" deep. Many wick sustainers have extra long necks to keep the flame well above the bottom of the container.

Never pour melted wax down the sink.

As soon as it comes in contact with the pipes it is likely to solidify and form a blockage and create expensive repairs.

Browse By Category